Re: Cold Intake

To: Dan Warner <dwarner@electrorent.com>
Subject: Re: Cold Intake
From: Rick Hammond <r.hammond@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 11:32:45 -0500
Dan Warner wrote:

> so drag out all those old fire
> extinguishers and cool those intercoolers. Liquid nitrogen (LN2) is a
> liquid, easy to get, and it's really cold-- 77 degrees Kelvin. Spray that on
> an intercooler and the charge temperature would plummet and its density
> would go up. Liquid oxygen (LOX) would do much the same thing and when it
> evaporates, some could be ducted into the intake....and the whole thing
> would either go like stink or be a big hand grenade
> Better be careful of getting the intercooler too cold. You can actually turn
> the intake charge back to a liquid. The old addage " ...can't be cold
> enough..." is not always the truth as applied to salt physics. This is free
> advice from Gale Banks.
>
> DW

Dan,
So you mean liquid N and water injection might not be the hot combo? ;-)

Back on the AC option; I know it would eat hp, but I would think it could be
basically a constant hp loss, but that loss would be proportionally less at full
honk, with gains of ??

Does anybody have figures on hp gains/degree drop etc.?
How much temp. drop do you get from a good air/air intercooler?  (of course that
depends on ambient ranges)

Come on up to Canada and we'll just run on frozen lakes instead of dry ones. ;-)
Cheers,
Rick