RE: fabrication

To: "'Scott Cowle'" <scowle@mentorcollege.edu>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: fabrication
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 12:31:02 -0600
Scott;

Half (?) the fun of racing is in the building of the machine. For creative
people, not fabricating something is like an artist not being able to paint.
Speaking of this-- one of my pet peeves-- is that "artists" are recognized
(and some even subsidized by various government agencies) for their work but
only those who follow "orthodox" artistic disciplines-- painting, sculpture,
dance, writing, acting, etc. Frankly, some of the automobile (and other)
creations that I've seen certainly qualify as "art" and they are also
functional! I'm sure everyone can think of a car that is so aesthetically
pleasing that it falls into the category of "art". Has anybody ever gotten a
grant from the National Endowment for the Arts to build a streamliner? I've
known some guys who were every bit as skilled in forming sheet metal as an
"artist" but who never gets any recognition except from our small circle of
enthusiasts.  ... end of rant.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ