Re: tc

To: "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: tc
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 05:42:54 -0500
I talked to Steve last night at great length about this subject. I faxed him
and he
called me back later in the evening east coast time.

The result of the conversation was this. It is not about how you limit traction
per se.
it is about having something other than the driver modulate power applied to
the rear
wheels that can change dynamically during the run such as many of the things i
suggested, rev limiter variable boost etc. A slip indicator is fine from what
he told
me Al Teague has one installed in his car that Gale Banks did for him. I don't
know
this to be right or wrong other than what I was told and I have absolutely no
reason to
doubt Steve. You can have something that is wheel speed related that does not
change
the power during the run according to wheels spin though. One of the things i
wanted to
explore is legal. That is boost vs. gear selected which he said in his mind was
similar
to a multi-stage nitrous system. I would fax him for further specifics if you
have any
other ideas.

My overall impression is that he is a good guy trying to keep the rule
structure so
everyone can have some fun without spending a lot of money but he seemed to
agree that
a lot of people were spending a lot of money now so the days of doing this for
a few
bucks in your garage are not as common anymore. Speed costs money to a certain
degree
and we all want to go faster last time I checked.. The whole subject of TC I
think is
still open for discussion and i personally am not going to let it die. What I
am going
to do is use what I was told i can do now and keep an open dialog about it in
the the
future with Steve.  I think a major part of the rule now is perceived cost to
do a
reasonably good job of it. maybe the same was true about data acq at the time
that was
first introduced. Can some one enlighten me on that issue? Then next thing I
think is
to draw up and make a couple of slip indicators and use them as a test bed to
see how
much slip there is. it will be a simple matter to add the circuitry to make
them a TC
unit later for little cost so the entire effort will not be lost. It will also
give a
good idea if it can be done analog which i think it can, and if so it will be
done for
a lot less than a digital system. Digital might be the most versatile system in
the end
but the most expensive and right now I get the feeling this is a cost issue as
much as
anything else. if it can be done for a few hundred dollars I think the money
issues
will have to be set aside and then it will get down to an issue over what
classes if
any and what issues of driver vs. the spirit of the LSR racing ideas. Sure hope
at some
point it can be made legal for special construction cars! In my mind they are
the no
holds barred take no prisoners type of LSR racing.. A perfect place for the
latest
technology.
Dave