Re: happy new year

To: "landspeedracer" <landspeedracer@msn.com>,
Subject: Re: happy new year
From: "glen barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 09:13:18 -0800
Carol and I too want to wish everyone a Happy New Year. This past year we as
a country have seen many things that changed our lives.  We are a strong
nation and we are better for it. Those that lost loved ones at the WTC were
hit very hard but we as Americans suffer with them. In some way they are
family to all of us. Lets not forget them.

We as land speed racers are also a close knit family. We show it by sharing
our knowledge, a few funny stories and we pick on each other a lot. Most
people in our sport understand this, others in the world don't. What is
important is our friendship comes first.

Some of us only meet once a year on the salt and it seems like it was
yesterday when we see each other and shake hands. There is many special
things about all of us that keep the bond going. The e-mail along with the
Tuesday night chat line opened up a new world of this closeness.

Sometimes we step on a few toes and sometimes ours get stepped on. The end
result is in most cases these little things are over come. None of us are
always going to agree on everything, but we have the freedom to decide and
to argue our side of it.That's what makes LSR the great sport it is.

As I look back over this past year and the first trip to the salt I can only
say what a trip it's been. When I went in 1953 I never had any idea where it
would lead me to. I was drawn between flying or racing, both which mom and
dad said no to.

I was a little sneaky and did both. I worked at the Torrance airport after
school and got flying lessons in exchange. One of the highlights was I
soloed on my 16th birthday in a 1946 Aronica Champ. I also was just getting
into drag racing at the old Santa Ana drag strip. This was 1951 and my
brother and the kid across the street took me with them. I guess this would
have a bearing on my future.

In 1953 I went to work for Douglas Aircraft Co. I met and engineer and was
talked into going to the Dry Lakes with him. Over the years it was a toss up
between the drags and lakes. Most of it in the mid 50s to 1970 would be drag
racing with trips to the lakes and salt to keep up with what was happening.

In 1983 I went to the lakes to visit Gary Cagle and haven't missed a meet
since. Gary asked me if I would like to be his assistant in the timing stand
and being short of a few screws I said yes. Let me tell you my friends the
trip has been very rewarding. When Gary passed away in 1994 I was given the
position as chief timer. This past year I had the honor of timing the worlds
fastest wheel driven car at a 458 mph two way average. The test run of the
Vesco Streamliner at Speedweek had a terminal speed of 470 mph.

Sitting in the best seat in the house has been most rewarding. The why is
because of you the racers and volunteers make it so. I want to thank each
one of you for the great past and even a better future in our sport.

Have a VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR.
Glen & Carol Barrett