Re: Anotherr race date on the salt?

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Anotherr race date on the salt?
From: "Louise Ann Noeth" <lanoeth@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 14:02:12 -0800
Jack, list, et al

I do not believe the sport will ever attract a great deal of sponsorship
money for the simple fact that it would take a Herculean effort to attract
big spectator crowds. The salt, for all its majesty, is still as
inhospitable as possible., and only those with great conviction and curious
tenacity will stay more than a day.
This is not the thing a sponsor is looking for.

However, a patron, who will use the success of a team for advertising
purposes, may not care about the crowds and exploit the vehicle in a
positive way in association of the product or service they want to market
(high-speed internet hook-ups are a natural, the same goes for a company who
pushes rapid delivery service, etc.). For this type of marketing, the
sponsor would not get involved at the racing level -- they would not make
demands on the racing program only exploit the successes. Richard Noble made
sure that he would not be forced into a sponsor corner by metering out the
sponsor percentages so that none would have a "title" stake in ThrustSSC and
was therefore able to conduct the record attempts onhis own terns.
Breedlove, on the other hand, was subject to a variety of sponsor demands
that put wrinkles into his speed attempts.

I am firmly against any sponsorship that subverts the speed attempt process
in favor of a marketing perk. That includes making any concessions on the
starting line when a vehicle is ready to run. It is my firm belief that
sponsors and the media should be witness to, not directors the land speed
process.

As for rules made to favor one type of racer over another . . . good gosh,
it doesn't take big money for that to occur. Just from reading this list and
listening to the history, I have been told of a many rule changes that were
made to favor one thing over another -- it pleased some and annoyed others.
Was it fair? That is for the racers to decide, the ones who are affected,
certainly not me.

 Be Vigilant,

"LandSpeed" Louise Ann Noeth

LandSpeed Productions