[Fwd: Re: Scoop Openings Revisited.....]

To: "Richard J. Hockert, Esq." <rjh.co@worldnet.att.net>,
Subject: [Fwd: Re: Scoop Openings Revisited.....]
From: "Bryan A. Savage Jr" <basavage@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 00:15:33 -0800
Wow!

I get a kick out of this mental equivalent of the Chinese water torture:
Aerodynamics.
The introductory stuff I read many, many years ago seemed so straight forward.
Air flow follows the laws of physics. Simple. No problem ..
Except .. each molecule of Oxygen and Nitrogen follows many different laws
of physics simultaneously. (Hmmm getting messy here)

Like Rich, many aerodynamically correct things look WRONG to me (F-117) and
Dick, I casually stuck my hand out into a 145 knot breeze and about lost
it. Air is very hard stuff at high speed.

mayf, I think the only safe way to use a properly designed scoop is with
a good EFI system. It might be possible to use an additional fuel pump
driven by the rear axle to add fuel to a mechanical system but ....
One new user of a "correct" scoop went 15 steps richer than the tested
dyno setup and it was still a bit lean at 300 MPH.
In your carb example, with a scoop, don't you want the air to slow down
and gain pressure before / while entering the carb?

I don't think that a fast car with an ideal scoop can be jetted to run
safely without EFI on gasoline.
With methanol and an excellent ignition system I think acceptable results
can be produced. You'll be about 20% rich in first gear.
If you find some pictures of Indy cars before EFI, I don't think you can
find one with a scoop. They just pulled boundary layer air in from the
side of the car. That way the induction system was always looking at
ambient air pressure.

Bottom line for me: I think I can deal with ->basic<- airflow around the
outside of a car. I think I need to learn much more before trying to manage
airflow inside a car.

This IS fun and talking about it doesn't burn holes in pistons.

Cheers,
Bryan