New TV show wants you gearheads

To: "lsr list" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: New TV show wants you gearheads
From: "Wendy Jeffriess" <salt@ivic.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 08:02:06 -0800
Not exactly LSR but anyone want their 15 minutes of fame?  This came to the
Bonneville Racing News.  I certainly hope they have well designed safety
requirements!  Check out the website.  I only looked at the opening page.
It talked about handing over the loot to get started.  Let's
see..............build the darned thing with the idea of using parts for a
new LSR vehicle.  They might really go for a LSR experienced team as a
unique angle worthy of special note during the program.

          CABLE CHANNEL, TLC, IS SEARCHING FOR TEAMS FOR THE NEW SHOW
                       "UMC: ULTIMATE MACHINE COMBAT" (WT)

Calling all gearheads, greasemonkeys, and tool-toting, engine-loving,
mechanical
maniacs. TLC (The Learning Channel) and RDF, producers of JUNKYARD WARS, are
on
the hunt for teams to enter their new mechanical challenge UMC: ULTIMATE
MACHINE
COMBAT.  If you've got mechanical skills, a lust for horsepower and a thirst
for
larger-than-life-sized competition, we want YOU.

In UMC: ULTIMATE MACHINE COMBAT, 30 teams will be chosen from all around the
world to create all-terrain Mad-Max-style machines. Teams will receive a
limited
amount of money for parts to build their mechanical masterpieces.  If they
go
over that amount, it comes out of their own pocketbooks.  They will have
just
one month to build their contraptions before they are put to the test.

The vehicles will have to compete in the most devilish obstacle course ever
devised. So they must be built to withstand any assault. And it's not just
about
the machines - we'll also be testing the teams' mettle, since they
themselves
will have to drive their monstrous creations.

Builders will be chosen from all five continents, then all teams and their
machines will be shipped to the U.K. for the tournament-style competition.
By
the end, only one machine will be left standing.