Re: New Member Greetings

To: "Richard Fox" <v4gr@rcn.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: New Member Greetings
From: "SMITH KENTON E" <ksmith6@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 21:58:47 -0700
> Ken; Was yours the V7 that Jack was studying?  Rich Fox

Yes it was.  We ran a V7 SBC 283 and set a record in E/GMR at World Finals.
We had a blast.  We finished the roadster just prior to speedweek last year.
We set it up for a SBC so we could easily run in different engine classes.
We found a 283 short block with 12:1 forged TRW pistons at the Hot Rod
Reunion swap meet.  After comparing the D and E records, we decided to see
what we could do for an E motor.  A friend of mine, Wayne Atkinson, had ran
a V7 302 Ford in E/Production for a couple of years in the early 80's.  He
had run a dummy piston.  We decided to remove a piston completely and run a
bob weight on the crank.  We plugged the lifter holes and grounded the spark
plug wire to the block.  We cleaned up the bore and did the regular block
machining, screwed the thing together and dropped it in.  We looked at it as
a relatively inexpensive experiment.  It got us on the salt, and if we
snagged a record, that would be gravy.

Being rookies to running on the salt, we've had quite a time with general
tuning.  However, we were getting close at World Finals when we bumped the
record from 159.3 to 166.2.  We think there is still some more left in that
engine, so we're going to run it again this year.  We haven't done a
complete tear down yet, but are going to during the next couple of weeks and
have everything mag'd.  We had wound it pretty tight many times for a stock
two bolt main and stock 327 rods!

See ya on the salt!
Ken