Re: Intake Question

To: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>, DOUG ODOM <popms@thegrid.net>,
Subject: Re: Intake Question
From: rgribble@carolina.rr.com
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 23:37:44 GMT
Dick,
IMO, you're fairly correct in your thinking. However, if it
were me, I'd machine out the intake and buy a Wilson
Tapered Spacer #004150, which makes a transition from the 4
carb holes to a single open plenum space. I ran it on my
T'Bird and got more lower end and top end. Estimates are
from 4 to 12 HP over a std 2" spacer. You can get more info
at www.wilsonmanifolds.com.
Grib
 Some four barrel manifolds (and spacers) have four holes
to match the venturies on the
carburetor.  Others have one large square hole which
includes all four venturies of the
carburetor.  What is the difference in these two
arrangments?  I have an older intake
manifold that is drilled for the early small bolt pattern
four barrels, but I want to
adapt the larger bore, bigger bolt pattern carburetor.
Should I machine out the four
small venturies to the size of the bigger carburetor's
butterflies, or should I just
machine out the entire opening in the intake to match the
size of the later carburetor
gaskets and spacers which have one large square inlet?   My
theory is that the four
smaller venturies give better bottom end response, and the
larger square hole gives better
top end performance.  Am I right or wrong?