Intake Question

To: DOUG ODOM <popms@thegrid.net>, Bill Smith <mrtrucksmarts@aol.com>,
Subject: Intake Question
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 08:13:42 -0800 (PST)
Some four barrel manifolds (and spacers) have four holes to match the venturies
on the carburetor.  Others have one large square hole which includes all four
venturies of the carburetor.  What is the difference in these two arrangments?
I have an older intake manifold that is drilled for the early small bolt
pattern four barrels, but I want to adapt the larger bore, bigger bolt pattern
carburetor.  Should I machine out the four small venturies to the size of the
bigger carburetor's butterflies, or should I just machine out the entire
opening in the intake to match the size of the later carburetor gaskets and
spacers which have one large square inlet?   My theory is that the four smaller
venturies give better bottom end response, and the larger square hole gives
better top end performance.  Am I right or wrong?

Dick J

In East Texas