Re: Dick's SBC RPM

To: land-speed@autox.team.net, lsr_man@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Dick's SBC RPM
From: "Doug Anderson" <boogiewoogie12@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 22:30:18 +0000
HOOOooooo-RAY FOR DICK J!

YOU GOT IT RIGHT BUSTER.

F.U.N.  IS WHERE ITS AT.      NO MATTA HOW FAST YOU GO "DOING IT"

                                      -DIRTY DOUG IN NEW YAWK

                         ...JEALOUS AS HELL OF YOU "FAST GUYS"

From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
To: Ed Van Scoy <ed@vetteracing.com>, Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>
CC: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>, Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>,   DrMayf
<drmayf@teknett.com>, autox list <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dick's SBC RPM
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 10:14:34 -0800 (PST)

  OK.  Here's what it is.  Stock 4-bolt bottom end with stock crank rods and
pistons.  Crane solid lifter cam, roller rockers on 7/16" screwed in studs,
and dual "Z-28" springs. I am running a mechanical Carter NASCAR pump,
after-market 3/8" id fuel line front to back, and stock HEI.  I'm running a
3.08 gear. Last summer at Maxton I lifted at 6200 to be sure not to blow the
motor.  With the gearing I had, that gave me a bit over 140 and I was pretty
happy, considering what I was running.
Now I've added a good port job to the 882 heads, increased from the 600
Edelbrock (AFB) to an 800 on Victor Jr.  Increased headers from small
cheapos to Hooker Comps with 1 3/4 primaries.  Previously, on this list, the
consensus of opinion was that my stock bottom end (piston speed) would limit
me to around to six thousand.  There is no doubt in my mind that the
breathing will now allow this motor to rev to 7,500 or more, but I prefer
not to leave pieces of pistons, rods and crank all along the track. $ $ $ $
$   If we "re-visit" the piston speed and max RPM issue and you guys
convince me that I can rev higher without danger of doing this, I'll run it
higher on Memorial Day.  Any comments??
I've increased my overall drive ratio (actually gone to my taller tires -
24.5" up to 28") and expect to pull the taller tires to the same 6250  red
line with the appropriate increase in speed.   If I go into the block to
change to some good rods so I can raise my red line,  then I might as well
add some good forged pistons so I can actually use my nitrous, and then a
better crank, and then ......  Well, y'all know how it goes.
Some of you will remember, from way back, that this car is what I nicknamed
my "transition car".  My true passion is nostalgia cars with old hemis, and
I was building, amongst others, a hemi-powered 1923 Dodge roadster that was
progressing really, really slow.  I had that incurable need for speed, and
decided to put this Camaro on the track just to have something to run while
I took my time building the old hemi car.  I have also been told that dollar
for dollar, I'd be hard pressed to get the same performance out of those old
hemis that I could get out of this small block bow tie, but hey, that's
where my heart is.  They say "You can never go back.", but that's just what
I'm doing, and when I open the hood, it's going to say "Firepower" and have
dual fours!
Dick J
"The Crazy Old Man" from East Texas
   Ed Van Scoy <ed@vetteracing.com> wrote: If I recall previous posts, Dick
has a mechanical pump and
"stock style" hard lines. My '73 Corvette "short tracker" gets
along real well with a similar set-up, which are 3/8 ID hard
lines ( a Holley will "store" more fuel than an Edelbrock) But
hey, how hard is it to run a larger line just for insurance?
Dave asked the question I wanted to; Why such a low red
line??? I assume your new heads have (at least) larger, dual
valve springs, and at least 2.02 intakes.... If so, a larger
bump-stick might be the way to go. Even a 2-bolt main SBC will
take more than 6250 rpm.....
ed (suffering out here in the desert where the highs today
will only be mid-80's)