RE: Dyno Capability

To: "'Bryan A. Savage Jr'" <basavage@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: Dyno Capability
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 10:30:13 -0600
Bryan,

Interesting concept-- thanks. I've seen other "wireless" torque sensors that
measure the relative positions of two sensors (much like the crank trigger
idea) on each end of a driveshaft and from the shaft twist that the torque
produces, measure torque and horsepower (with RPM) that way. That approach
requires calibration for the torsional stiffness of each driveshaft that is
used; putting a strain guage on a CV yoke allows it to be pre- calibrated &
that way it's independent of the driveshaft characteristics. Too bad it
won't work on my setup-- a mid-engine car with a transaxle doesn't have a
driveshaft but I suppose two sensors could be used, one on each axle.

I hope they use Texas Instruments parts! (adv't)

Regards, Neil     Tucson, AZ    (Sr. Applications Engineer, Texas
Instruments-- Tucson)