Re: Tires

To: DrMayf <drmayf@teknett.com>, Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>,
Subject: Re: Tires
From: Rick Byrnes <Rick@rbmotorsports.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 18:00:34 -0500
This response does not fit
Daves requirement of actual data, but my personal experience is provided.
In 96 thru 98, BFG/Michelin provided support for the Merkur program.  They
knew the loads and speeds I had been running and had where my aero guy,
thought the loads were at 200 MPH.  They, at that time were supplying ZR 1
tires, shaved that the engineers felt were ok for 200 MPH with 60 psi
inflation pressure.  They also knew that I had run Maxton at 175 MPH and
discussed the potential of the Drag street radial.  They chose to not
sanction the use of those tires for my car.  Now on a light weight lakester
or ??? who knows.  My experience is they were extremely cautious.  Back in
95 in Georgia, I had no problem with traction using BFG 255 ZR 60  R1's  but
then in 95 I had only around 440 F/W HP (est ???).  Those same tires in 98
may have been a problem when we were around 600 at the wheels (measured).
Don't know if this helps at all, but it has been my experience.

NOW, for that Nitrous thingie.....
Nitrous is for dentists
Gasoline is for washing parts.
Alcohol is for drinking