Re: tech question

To: Ironwigwam2@aol.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: tech question
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 10:20:17 -0500 (EST)
Hi Rick, you have taken up a worthy challenge with a mc streamliner, I
look forward to seeing it run.  Others who are in the ECTA leadership
will surely comment, but let me offer this as someone who's run their
roadster down Maxton a few times.

I am certain the technical knowledge in the ECTA tech inspectors is
surpassed nowhere.  To inspect a new mc streamliner thoroughly would
probably consume a whole day or more of an expert's time, so I don't
know how they will address that.  Suggest you contact Scott Guthrie who
is the ECTA MC Tech Inspector, in advance, to arrange it.  Scott has
many years at Bonneville, too, and must know the tech process there.
But every tech inspector looks at things slightly differently.  If
negotiation doesn't resolve questions, there's always "let's get another
opinion on this."  The Meet Director has the final word.

Safety is the #1 concern in Tech, but first, last and all the time the
OWNER has to make sure the whole machine is SAFE.

The stability of mc streamliners is a mystery to all but a handful of
human beings.  From what I can see it arises from no more than the gyro
effect of the wheels and a vertical stabilizer on the tail. I'm not even
sure why it doesn't fall over when you steer it, except for the said
stabilizer!  Feel free to enlighten me!

At Maxton you have to be able to make a fairly vigorous clutch start
from the starting line, but in your case of course I imagine any amount
of push start will be allowed.  You will need to be able to start and
warm up your equipment easily, reliably and consistently at the start
line since there's a line-up.  But just about any reasonable need you
have will be allowed, since everybody wants to support your effort to
run your bike.  Everybody's there for the same reason, fun and
fellowship.

There's a moderate amount of stopping room at Maxton, so you need good
brakes, maybe a chute if it's that fast(almost any mc streamliner would
be), and stability until you bring it to rest.  And you need to be on
the ball to go into braking mode instantly when you clear the lights.

Best of luck,  Ardun Bill