Re: roll cage

To: LGMCAFEE@aol.com
Subject: Re: roll cage
From: Rick Hammond <r.hammond@sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 13:18:21 -0500
LGMCAFEE@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/4/02 9:38:09 AM Central Standard Time,
> saltrat@pro-blend.com writes:
>
> <<
>  Hi Larry,
>  The pics in the rule book all show the top of the rail and that's all I
>  have seen in practice.
>  Mine is at the top....I think easy to see to weld it on the outside????
>  What did you mean?
>  Skip
>   >>
> Skip this is in a 52 chevy pickup and the hoops go down in the corner and the
> way the cab is its going to be a tough to do. I'm a pipefitter welder by
> trade and anybody that installs roll cages for a living is tougher than me.
> They earn their money!!!!!
> Larry Mac

Larry,
There is a reason to have it on the side rather than dead center; not sure of
specifics but it relates to stress points/concentration I think.
They say preferably on the outside but I would think structurally it would work
just as well on the inside.  You could argue though that in a side impact the
gusset is under tension rather than compression, but it's purpose for stiffening
front to rear should be the same.
If it is clear of the driver I don't know that they would argue with it being
inside.  Better check though ;-)

Hey, you could always cut yourself little windows to work through....
Cheers,
Rick