Nitro

To: Rick Byrnes <Rick@rbmotorsports.com>,
Subject: Nitro
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 13:47:32 -0800 (PST)
 Nitro
When I was very young (12), I raced outboard hydroplanes.   I had lost every
race in a year by about two boat lengths to an older teenager with a hot Merc.
The old man across the lake felt sorry for me, and one day he gave me a one
galllon can of home-brew fuel to run in my outboard racer. He raced stock cars
and midgets.  He told me to mix about 10% with my regular gas and I would win.
I mixed 10% and won by a boat length.  I figured if 10% was good, 25% would be
better.  Next race I won by half a lap.  Wow!  What would 75% do?  The
powerhead from my Elto twin is still somewhere at the bottom of the lake.  The
transom from the hydroplane is down there near it with the rest of the motor
attached to it.  Part of the hull and one sponson floated back to the surface
and was subsequently burned in our trash pile.  The rest of the boat has never
been seen.  Until that day, I didn't know that a motor could go from ten
thousand RPM to 0 RPM in less than a second! I still remember the sound!
NITRO METHANE!  THE NECTARE OF THE GOD OF SPEED !!
Ah yes - one of my dreams too.  I have built a library of references on nitro.
There are guys on this list who have tasted Nitro and can provide answers for
you. I have a whole file of "off-line" emails regarding the stuff.  I also dug
up a bunch off the internet.   I have a little Dodge hemi and a spare Chrysler
hemi, and both of them will run nitro before they die.  I'm going to try it.
I'll be sure to let you know how many pieces I am able to find when I get done.
DicK j
 Rick Byrnes <Rick@rbmotorsports.com> wrote: Yeah, but what about 20% in a
Pinto motor?
I have wanted to run "Pop" since I was a little boy and my dad told stories
about tipping the can in the midget races a long time ago.....
Tis sad he cannot remember that stuff now....