Re: Nitro

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Nitro
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 17:21:11 EST
In a message dated 3/8/2002 1:51:00 PM Pacific Standard Time,
lsr_man@yahoo.com writes:

> NITRO METHANE!  THE NECTARE OF THE GOD OF SPEED !!
> Ah yes - one of my dreams too.  I have built a library of references on
> nitro.  There are guys on this list who have tasted Nitro and can provide
> answers for you. I have a whole file of "off-line" emails regarding the
> stuff.  I also dug up a bunch off the internet.   I have a little Dodge
> hemi and a spare Chrysler hemi, and both of them will run nitro before they
> die.  I'm going to try it.  I'll be sure to let you know how many pieces I
> am able to find when I get done.
> DicK j

    You haven't lived until you've seen what a little Nitro (65%) does to a
Hemi if you add some compression ratio. To say that the Hemi loves Nitro
would be a gross understatement. Our nostalgia NA dragster at Denver dropped
from 9.1 to 8.9 sec. just by going from 65% to 80%. The roadster at El Mirage
went from 188 to 202 by going from 55% to 65% and lowering the gear ratio.
The blower motor at El Mirage went from 198 to 210 when we added 13% (just to
be able to color the plugs).
    A Hemi goes positively "screwy" when you feed it some nitro along with
either compression ratio or blower boost.
    A word of caution: Unless you have plenty of aftermarket innards, be
prepared to see the "upstairs" go "downstairs", filling the oil pan with
shrapnel...........Ardun Doug