Re: Wind Tunnel Info.

To: <ardunbill@webtv.net>,
Subject: Re: Wind Tunnel Info.
From: W S Potter <wester6935@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 08:03:23 -0800
Bill,

Thinking about your roadster.  Wonder what a wind tunnel would show for the
cut-outs on the hood and the interruption of airflow over the front tires
from the heads sticking out.  Would certainly change the normal '32 Ford
front characteristics a bit.

The dirty air/clean air factor would be interesting to read if there were a
way to replicate that in the wind tunnel.  The increasing concern the NASCAR
drivers have with air in TV interviews takes on new significance with those
numbers.  May have a factor in why Grib does so well with the wide rain
tires on the salt when others without the same increased but controlled
downforce might have traction problems.  Be interesting to know what air
control happens under the cars as well.  What horsepower is needed to run at
those speeds with that downforce.

The land-speed record setting cars of the thirties and forties were SO big
it makes  you wonder what the numbers would be on those bodies.  I'm sure
the cd is lower on a typical stock car.  Looking at the new Nish
streamliner, there is an increase in body height front to back as there is
in the car Rick Byrnes will eventually build into a liner.  Those low front
tires will obviously be a factor there.  Don't remember much increase in
Howard's car or in the drawings of Marlo's new car.

Keith and Mayf are probably the best educated ones on this list about
aerodynamics ... any comments guys?

Wes  (where it snowed LOTS yesterday and the sun is out this morning so I'd
better go skiing.)