RE: Staying Cool--"THE REAL REASON"

To: "'Rick'" <turborick@TurboRick.com>,
Subject: RE: Staying Cool--"THE REAL REASON"
From: "Jon Wennerberg" <jonw@up.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 17:09:10 -0400
I wear a "Draggin' Shirt" Kevlar long-sleeved shirt under my leathers.
There's nothing special about it -- the Kevlar is why I wear it, but the
weave/texture is super-great for soaking up and evaporating sweat.  You'll
find lots of photos of me walking around at the line, in the pits -- wearing
my yellow long-sleeved shirt.  It's amazing how well proper evaporation
works...  I'm cool, I'm KULE!  Hey, long sleeves keep the sun under control,
too.

Now you've also gotta realise that I've learned some hot-weather tricks.  I
start drinking fluids when Nancy and I wake up each day of the races,
whether I'm thirsty or not (just then).  I do my damndest to make sure I'm
properly hydrated before (repeat) before I get thirsty -- 'cause I think
that it's too late when you notice it...takes too long to catch up, so start
early.  Ed and Cris know the value of water -- witness that the first thing
you get at the end of the long course is a drink, not your timing slip
(although I ask for the times first, they still give me a drink before that
yellow slip...)

Then there's the Spandex pants I wear under the leathers.  Stop laughing!!
They let me slide around without "clinging" to the inside of my leathers,
but, I'm afraid, bring lots of snide snickers to the assembled multitude at
the line.  I visit the portapotties as necessary at the line -- don't want
to have "other" stuff on my mind when I'm going down the course.

Hey, you're at the start line of the race course at Bonneville -- nobody's
gonna give you a hassle if you wanna go potty.   You're the racer, man!!
There's damn few folks out there that have set in the race vehicle at that
point -- you can whiz whenever you want to without shame.

            Jon E. Wennerberg
    Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
           #436 M/PS/G 1340 CC
2001: 200.471 mph - 2002 GOAL: 220.554++mph
        Marquette, Michigan 49855
          (That's Way Up North)