RE: Ugly Simca

To: "'ARDUNDOUG@aol.com'" <ARDUNDOUG@aol.com>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Ugly Simca
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 11:17:07 -0500
Kvach;

I had a '57 Golden Hawk for a while; it was basically the Loewy '53 coupe
with a different grill, tailfins, and a McCulloch centrifugal supercharger
on its 289 V-8. It looked great, had nice Stewart- Warner gauges in an
engine- turned dash, and was one of the first cars to come with factory-
installed seat belts.

At high speeds, it was fairly scarey--- it had lots of front- end lift (due
to it's new front grill shape?) that made it a handfull and its drum
brakes/organic linings were sub- marginal. The "monkey-motion" steering
linkage didn't help, either.

All- in- all, the '57 Golden Hawk was a good effort but it fell a bit short
of being what it was intended to be. The '58 had an unsupercharged Packard
V-8 instead of the lighter Studebaker V-8 and as one magazine put it, "it
had the weight distribution of a blackjack!"

Another stroll through memory lane!

Regards, Neil     Tucson, AZ