Re: a Bit More Wisdom to You, Bryan ......

To: ed@vetteracing.com
Subject: Re: a Bit More Wisdom to You, Bryan ......
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 20:40:02 EDT
      Hello Ed ...... No, Doug and Darrell are not campaigning the Black
Radon Firebird at Speedweek this year . You probably got to see the
engine after Darrell grenaded it last year at the three mile mark on 20 %
nitro ...... about all that could be saved was one of those great looking
Dart aluminum heads, the blower and injectors, and a few small pieces
........ the block and everything that rotated were really trashed .
      The worst part was it was on the very first run, and I think the speed
at that three marker was 203 .........
       Darrell had hoped to run at or near 270 last year, so it was a huge,
and very costly, disappointment to him . One of racing's tough lessons !
         I had hoped he might run at El Mirage this year, even with a gas
or port injected engine, but he elected to concentrate on a major upgrade
of his garage, and many home and landscaping improvements .
         Doug is off in Hawaii doing some very specialized work at the
Pearl Harbor Naval Base, and I am back here in Connecticut this week, so
none of us got to this Speedweek . I will soon be in the Bay Area with
Darrell, and I believe he will be refocusing his main efforts on the Firebird
shortly ........ I certainly do miss being a regular visitor to Speedweek !
          On our first visit there in 1987 I got the salt bug for sure,
especially
since I had wanted to go there from my high school days in 1950 .......
like many of us early-day Hot Rod Magazine readers !!!
         Hopefully next year ...... and I hope your Vette will be there and
making its' presence known in a big way !!!  Good Luck in all your racing
endeavors at the Salt, the lakes, the drags, and that very fast lonely
road there in Nevada ...... THAT looks like an ultimate speed blast !!!
                     Bruce Ferguson