Re: Metal Wheels ?

To: "Bryan A. Savage Jr" <basavage@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: Metal Wheels ?
From: "Glen Barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 15:02:41 -0700
Bryan
The Alum or steel wheel problem has been around for years. We allowed the
cars in question to make runs this year and they were followed down the
course to inspect the track or ruts in this case. Speedway Automotive
streamliner left ruts 2-1/2 to 3" wide and in some places over 1/2" deep. A
motor cycle getting into a rut will be steered by the rut, not a fun ride.
Other vehicle crossing over the ruts tend to break down the edges even more.
The down forces these vehicles generate
is a lot more then most realize.

The dryness or wetness of the salt as is the thickness in how much damage
results. It was a long time back when Breedlove ran and the car and the
wheels were much wider but did leave some marks. Being a thrust vehicle the
effect is some what different. As we don't know now what area he ran on.
When Breedlove ran a few year back his comments were that the car was moving
around on the salt because of poor surface conditions.

Our people go to great lengths to fine the best surface to run on for all of
the meets. We are protecting the so called international course for the
world finals. For those that attendad this speedweek the road in has a very
soft spot where the underground river flows under it. The salt was soft and
mushey in that area. Actually Breedloves wheels had  a composit tire moulded
to the wheel, Nobel had big alum. wheels that were grooved. The courses at
BlackRock had to be moved over for each run as the dry lake bed was also
rutted and affected by the engine thrust. Look at any airal photo of the
lake after the runs.

Bottom line is that we need rubber high speed tires over 30" in dia.

Glen