Re: Metal Wheels ?

To: "landspeedracer" <landspeedracer@msn.com>, <wmtsmith@landracing.com>
Subject: Re: Metal Wheels ?
From: "Glen Barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 07:58:44 -0700
With even 60 to 90 psi in a rubber tire there is some flex in the tire, most
are more rounded on the edges. Alloy wheel don't flex and tend to plow the
salt, or cut the outside of the rut thus allowing the edges to break down.
Lee Kennedy & I walked a lot of the 3rd mile after speedway ran and you
could see the edges and any steering that chips away at the edge of the
rutting. As far as the Crower liner that had flat belts on the wheels I
recall some salt packing between the belt and wheel not sure on the rutting
at that time with this vehicle.

Some vehicles in the past with rubber tires heavy weight and high speeds
have caused surface damage when the salt was wetter and much thinner in
years past. A lot of wheel spin comming off the hard to soft salt seemed to
be the areas damaged by the rubber tire vehicles. We have not seen the
problem in the last 2 or 3 years.
Glen