Metal Wheels ?

To: List Land Speed <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Metal Wheels ?
From: "Bryan A. Savage Jr" <basavage@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 14:37:25 -0700
List;

As I understand it, there are some people that say that metal wheels
shouldn't be used because they "damage" the salt.

I wouldn't use metal wheels on the salt because they don't "seem" to provide
very good lateral stability. That's my "opinion".
This "opinion" is based on what happened when Breedlove and Noble ran on
the salt. So my "opinion" is based on very limited DATA.
In spite of the fact that Breedlove ran metal wheels, I couldn't find any
"damage" to the salt.

What is the exact nature of this "damage"?
What is the danger, to the competitors, that results from this "damage".
There's some folks at UCSF that I would like to discuss this with if I can
get some specific information. If the BLM will let me, I'd like cut out a
small piece of "damaged" salt and try to get it analyzed.

I know spinning drive wheels dig up the salt, I've seen the groves while
picking up glass. Scott Guthrie told me some of them are really bad.

I'd appreciate it if someone can help me understand this.

Thank you all,
Bryan