starting motorcycles

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: starting motorcycles
From: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 10:54:29 -0500
Howdy, well I been doing it the old way, kickstarting a BSA 441 single, @
12-1 compression, and last night it bit me AGAIN!!! by backfiring and
trying to launch me into orbit. The slap of the kicklever against my foot
is serious, and causes me to limp badly for several months and I'm really
tired of it, so I want a different way to start the bike, saw some guys
using a B&S gas engined thingy at SpeedWeek, but never had the chance to
really look one over, somebody wanna give me a pic or two of one, prefer
several angles so's I can copy it easily. and at the same time, saw a guy
trying to start the starter, and having no luck for several minutes, so
maybe I should go with an electric starter, huh? 12v Mopar starter and a
good battery....? I  have a geared down B&S horizontal shaft older engine,
used for winding up /down a boat lift, so maybe I can use it, I dunno, just
no longer interested in jumping my bike with the odd chance of wrecking my
foot/leg/composure.
signed Limpy Zuckerman