Building to the Rules - interpreting the rules

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Building to the Rules - interpreting the rules
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 13:45:23 -0400
Thanks for the very useful comments once again.

Looks as though its many books and a digital camera that starts a project
off to build to SCTA etc. rules.

Absolutely true that a visit should be a must, but some from UK have done
it without.  They just studied the articles and a few films I gather and
wanted to run. I visited in '98 and hope to do so again in the not too
distant future.  My mission in '98 was to do with planning running the bike
on the salt or another desert, rather than looking at the build of cars.

MG Rover had a goal of going faster with the MGF than any of their motors
had done before and perhaps over 300mph.  Shame that so many technical
problems stopped the chance of running, as the previous smaller cc car had
done so well.  I keep hearing stories that they will go back to Bonneville.

Richard Noble does seem to cope in both languages (public school education
probably helps), but Wes and others are spot on that SCTA Tech might have
been unhappy to have seen the car in the inspection line.  What I have read
of Breedlove's beautiful car (I am sitting looking at his model right now)
and seen in pictures, the safety cell cockpit would have sent an inspector
into shock!  Yet didn't he take it onto the salt?

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England