Motorcycle Streamliners

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Motorcycle Streamliners
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 16:53:56 -0400
James and List

A book to study is "The Fastest Motorcyles on Earth" by Tom Murphy.
Published by Whitehorse Press.  ISBN 1-884313-17-5.  Printed in 2000.
It doesn't include the Gillette Mach 3 Challenger, but it does include
Dennis Mannings Tenacious etc...

There were always good technical articles in Hot Rod on the fast bikes at
Bonneville.  There was one article that touched on a  gyroscope stabilised
bike being planned I recall (but cannot remember the date).  I just wonder
how the ability to maintain direction and stability is affected by the bike
remaining upright or being 'pulled' upright all the time?

The problem that Richard Brown had to learn to overcome was how to keep
upright and pointing the right way without the ability to use body weight
transfer - both have to be achieved through steering inputs alone.  Richard
did not have time to do more than look at the true horizon - he did not
blink from getting on the power to releasing the chute.  I am sure a pedal
cycle might help but moving the legs can give stability, but once inside a
streamliner cockpit you will not have that movement.

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England