MOTOR OIL QUESTION

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: MOTOR OIL QUESTION
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 12:53:58 -0700 (PDT)
The other day somebody mentioned engine deposits and "paraffin-based" motor
oils. I think Quaker State and Pennzoil were mentioned specifically.  Can
somebody give some simple info on the differences between paraffin-based oils
and the good old oil produced here in Texas.  When I was in high school I had a
summer job as a yard boy at a local junk yard. When business was slow, I spent
time pulling motors apart and shelf stocking parts.  I always thought that the
motors with sludge in them were the result of poor owner maintenance, but now
it appears that some of them may have been properly maintained, and that the
sludge build-up was because they used paraffin-based oil?  I use Mobil-One
Synthetic in the racecar, but just this year switched from Castrol to Pennzoil
in my car and truck.  Bad move?
Dick J In East Texas