RE: MOTOR OIL QUESTION

To: "Land-Speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: MOTOR OIL QUESTION
From: "Jim Webb" <jwebb@mastnet.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 18:51:06 -0500
Tom,

I believe you have given a very good explanation - certainly the additives
are the key. One of my company's customers is a producer of engine-oil
additives that are used in about 80% of all motor oils. You likely wouldn't
know the name of the company, but the point is that they sell the additives
used in virtually all of the name-brand oil. They do a lot of engine testing
and real life driving testing using all kinds of different formulations. The
formulation ordered by company A is a bit different from company B, but they
are all about the same. I've asked them before about oil additives and
brands of preferred oil, etc. They have told me that any reputable brand,
changed on a regular basis is OK and there is no need for additives.

I personally use Penzoil in my daily drivers and synthetics in the race
truck.

Jim Webb