Re: MOTOR OIL QUESTION

To: Jim Webb <jwebb@mastnet.net>
Subject: Re: MOTOR OIL QUESTION
From: "Bryan A. Savage Jr" <basavage@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 09:18:21 -0700
Jim,

That matches what I've found although specialty oils can be different
according to tests done by Blackstone LAbs..

Back in about 1998 Consumer Reports ran a test of motor oil that
was very interesting. They used New York City taxi cabs. The taxies
showed no significant difference in wear between major brands.
Oil & filer was changed every 6000 miles. Mobile 1 showed no
advantage at 6000 miles. It was the only oil they tested at
12000 miles - still no problem but they didn't recommend going
beyond the manufactures recommendations.

Oils that are labeled for other than automotive use can have
very different additive packages. For example motorcycle oils,
like Mobile 1 MX4T, have levels of EP and anti scuff additives
not allowed in automotive oil because they will kill the
catalytic converter. I used it (MX4T 10-40) in the turbo Toyota
Jack ran at El Mirage.

WARNING - START OPINION SECTION BASED ON GASOLINE FUEL

The question, are modern synthetic oils better than
petroleum oils is, in my opinion, in the same class as
the flat earth theory - not a subject for discussion.
Is it worth the extra money? Usually, no. Is it cheap insurance?
In my '89 T-bird, no. In my '01 Odyssey, yes.

I got very interested in oil when I was working in Roswell NM in
the summer of 1962. I had a 1961 VW with a VDO oil temp gage and
saw 250 to 260 temps driving around town with SAE 30 non detergent
oil that dealers mechanic insisted be used - "detergent oil will
ruin the motor". Prior to a run down to Carlsbad caverns I replaced
it with Aero Shell 50. Twenty miles south, at 69.5 MPH (on the floor)
the temp went past 300 and at 310 I turned around and came back at
55 MPH - oil temp 290. I tried again the next weekend and the temp
never went above 240 - same air temp. The difference was I was running
RPM 20-40 (an old Standard Oil Co. brand)
I didn't find out exactly why until 1964 when Ak Miller explained to
me why Ford specified 20-40 for the new Ford Indy motor.

Bryan
PS: 20-40 detergent oil worked fine for 66,000 miles, when it was sold.