Jack Mendenhall & Gas ups, Bill Burke

To: saltracer@awwwsome.com
Subject: Jack Mendenhall & Gas ups, Bill Burke
From: "Doug Anderson" <boogiewoogie12@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 00:44:00 +0000
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
To: Doug Anderson <boogiewoogie12@hotmail.com>
CC: Saltfever@earthlink.net, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: RICHARD PARKS
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 12:44:04 -0700

Yes, Doug, Richard is Wally's son. A bit diminutive in stature compared
to David and Wally. I met Richard at the Gasup. He was handing out a
pamphlet as we came through the lunch line. I also talked briefly with
both Wally and David.

This was the third time I have attended the Gasup, first in 1994, then
1999 & 2002. The place has really transformed from what it was in 1994.
They had a Video about Jack Mendenhall's Gas Pump Museum for sale. I
bought one and have looked at part of it. I would recommend the video to
anyone interested in any kind of auto racing. This is quite a collection
of auto related stuff, also revealing many things that I did not know
about Jack's exploits.

BTW, Jack was not able to attend this year. He is in the hospital,
seriously ill with pneumonia. He could use our prayers.

The other Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/GCC

                   --------------------------------

Thank you Tom....  -sure wish I could attend those Gas Ups.  Must be a
really nice time.   I met Jack M. in the State Line in 1988...  he told us
about some of his adventures; so much so, we thought he was jivin' us.
Turned out we were wrong.  He was real.  Cool Man.  Nice  guy.  I certainly
will say a prayer for him...   -speaking of "old timers"  have you seen or
heard anything of Bill Burke ?  Was he at Bonneville in August?  Believe he
to be the only original '49er to have raced at ALL Speedweeks.  Sure hope
hes still in good health...

best regards, Doug Anderson ,in NeuYaWK

   " They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary

                                              -Benjamin Franklin

   "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time "

                                               -Thomas Jefferson