RE: Clutches

To: "Land-Speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Clutches
From: "Jim Webb" <jwebb@mastnet.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 10:36:48 -0600
Bill,

We've been using a Howe Racing hydraulic throwaway bearing on the big red
truck for three years now. It slides on the snout of the transmission and is
kept from spinning by a stud that replaces one bolt in the front of the
trans. You use shims to set it up to zero clearance.

The two lines enter it more or less on the side with the bleeder line being
about the 10:00 position. We've just use a suction-style bleeder and it
seems to work fine. The single most important issue we saw with this piece
was making sure there was clearance between the clutch and the
pressure/bleeder lines with the pedal down. A clutch pedal travel stop made
sure.

We used the first one for SW2000, 2001, 2002 and replaced it for WF2002
since the o-ring seals had cracked and failed. These units are not 'racing'
parts, but seem to have worked OK so far. There are kits to rebuild them
including O-rings and throwaway bearings.

Jim