Re: Cryogenic treatment & Shake tables

To: LSR-List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cryogenic treatment & Shake tables
From: Twin Jugs Cycle <twinjugsharley@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 19:31:40 -0800 (PST)
Wow, what a wealth of info on this stuff. Checked out
the MetaLax(sounds like a treatment for my cast iron
sportster if it ever gets constipated - kinda shake
the shit of it so to speak), and saw some great sites
on cryogenics. Was much more intrigued when i saw cryo
used to prolong life of drill bits, saw blades, etc
also, as a drill bit was my first thought on testing
something. I fully believe in heat cycling cylinders
and always heat new ones in my welding oven and allow
to cool 4 or 5 times before boring. Also am thinking
more and more about the cryogenics treament for cams,
cylinders, rocker arms, valve stems, bearings and
pistons as I read more. Still not sure about the shake
table theory(like someone else had mentioned, maybe to
find the stress areas by seeing what cracked - lol)
but am still all ears on it. The military using it
doesn't impress me that much as I melted many of m-60
barrels and never heard of them wanting to do anything
special to them(unless they are now?). Sales
techniques(whether the payoff is small or large) can
sometimes grow very large in an industry as each
company tries to "keep up with the joneses", but this
seems to be something that is beyond mere sales
strategy and as Elon pointed out is worth getting some
facts on. Would like to have some cryo treating done
to some drill bits and half the pieces I cut off stock
at the same time and test them with the old press
method(measurement to snapping point) when they return
or more importanly see which gets more damage done by
a knurling tool in the lathe and just how much better
the drill bits last. If anyone has a company they
reccomend I'd like to get a couple pieces done to
test(it doesn't appear to be very costly in comparison
to alot of other voodoo out there). Here's a site that
I seemed to get the(needed for me) laments
explanations across to me. If nothing else I'll send
some stuff to them dad and let ya know what the
backyard testing department says? Would you like me to
see how does when it's on fire? jk brother. I'll try
not to poke an eye out. ;-)
http://www.diversifiedcryogenics.com/
Thanx for all the info everyone has shared so far.

Todd-#1300b(heat treating yes, cryo very possible,
shaking my parts around I'm not so sure about... my
bike does that just fine on its own).