Sam Sampson

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sam Sampson
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 20:46:09 -0600
       I know most you folks don't know Sam... The Original Hot Rod
Junkie.... so I want to kinda do my own tribute... this guy wasn't fancy...
he didn't own a fancy car.... but he had one of the coolest...and NOT just
looking... it was built with the help of a group of hot rodders up in
Maine....( just north of Texas... ya hit the big building's and go North )
I met Sam at Maxton the first time as just another of a thong of folks
wanting to experience the land speed racing deal... but Sam didn't have a
lot of money... what he had was a lot of freinds... folks who knew Sam his
whole life... and wanted him to live this dream... oh and they wanted to
live thru Sam... Many of them did just that... they walked on the salt the
first time last year... cause Sam drug them along.... he shared his
vision....  with someone else's motor and everyone else's labor...  don't
miss understand that either... he designed the dream... he'd just stocked up
on favors and the boys up there cashed them in for him... the 34 was mustard
yellow with a hammered aluminum nose and the car REEKED Bonneville.... it
reeked HOT ROD....  it was what we are as a group...  PURE WONDERFUL....

This was an honest Nice guy and a Good man...  Brad and I met him again on
the entrance road our first year on the salt.... Sam was there saying HEY
.... waiting on the water to go away so he could go and spectate.... he
wanted this dream BAD.... SHE BAD too.... was his dream... to drive on the
salt...   Last year we trashed the motor first pass.... so Dave and I were
out meandering around and the Maine contingent was right next door..... Sam
was about to put her on the trailer... and we asked him how fast he'd
been.... and it was something like 194mph... it was so dang close to 200
that Dave jumped in and worked on the tune up and the gears.... they set it
all up and were going to make that final attempt at a 200mph pass..... But
the motor let go in the first mile...

Sam being Sam... was just tickled to death... he'd blown up a motor trying
for his dream of going two bills on the salt.... I don't think he could have
been happier....  and Dang if I wasn't proud for him and his attempt...  it
was Very cool..... Saying So Long to Sam on the Salt last year will be his
memory that will last a life time for me.... the knees of his drivers suit
crusted in salt from the effort and a smile as wide as Delaware....

God Speed Sam....

Keith