HP/MPH

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: HP/MPH
From: "Terry Hunt" <guambomb743@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 02:52:52 -0800
Mayf, Dale and list, My poor computer skills are showing. I got the address
wrong, but no harm done. I mentioned that my Studebaker went 200MPH with
493HP in 1998 thru 2000. In 2001, the engine was modified to make 610HP. I
did some HP/ drag calculations and figured the car would go 215MPH. I was
somewhat disappointed since the record was 219MPH. However, in 2001 the car
went 227MPH. The only thing that was changed other than the engine
combination was the airdam. I made it for $40. out of aluminum sheet metal
and some screws. Cheap speed for sure. Since I,m not an engineer, I merely
looked at some Winston Cup cars on TV and copied the general idea. Those
guys spend plenty of money figuring out what works. There's been some
discussion about cars going faster after removing airdams, but in my case I
went faster. Terry Hunt, Guam Bomb, #743.