Re: Book Reviews

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Book Reviews
From: "Chuck Rothfuss" <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 12:34:07 -0500
Keith, List,

   Only five!  Okay, six.  Geeze, you make it tough on a guy who has to view
his computer monitor through a tunnel of books.  For some reason much of my
reading revolves around battle strategy and logistics.  Unfortunately,
authors like Rommel, Keegan and Liddell Hart won't be popular with most
readers.  So here's my list of top choices for group appeal.  As I watch
Marines from Camp Lejeune move with their equipment to the Morehead City
Port I think a couple of these books may be especially timely reading.
Perhaps our elected officials should read Sajer.  Preferably while hungry,
wet, and standing outdoors in the cold, with a full combat load of equipment
on their backs.

1.  Blue Highways  -William Least Heat Moon
One mans search for the "real" America.  Available on tape, very
entertaining.

2.  Into The Wild  -John Krakauer
True story of a young man who walked into the Alaskan wilderness and died
there.  Read it cover to cover, couldn't stop!

3.  The Forgotten Soldier  -Guy Sajer
 Autobiography of a German soldier on the Eastern Front.  An uncomfortable,
unforgettable read.

4.  Lincoln On Leadership  -Donald T. Phillips
Sound advice.  An entertaining insight into Lincolns' leadership style.
Executive strategies for tough times.

5.  Marine Corps Sea Stories  -H.G. Duncan USMC (Retired), Gayle Publishers
PO Box 619 Blountstown FL 32424-0619
Possibly out of print, since they were printed, bound and mailed by the
author himself.  Timeless leadership lessons.  Big fun!

6.   Brotherhood of War Series  -W. E. B. Griffin
Fantastic adventures from book I-VIII.  The Corps, and Men at War Series are
also excellent adventure fiction.

Chuck Rothfuss
USMC (Retired and awaiting recall)

P.S.  Painting seems to be a common theme this weekend.  I've got a living
room with 12' ceilings that I'm not looking forward to painting.
Unfortunately, Matt tried to keep me out of trouble and told Mommy I'd
already started painting.  So now it's my turn to pull his little butt out
of the fire...