Re: Exhaust/Engine Brakes

To: Higginbotham Land Speed Racing <saltrat@pro-blend.com>
Subject: Re: Exhaust/Engine Brakes
From: Bryan Savage <basavage@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 12:16:06 -0800
Skip,
Exhaust brakes don't work on gas motors because they don't pump
hardly any air when the throttle is closed. There might be a way
to design a system that when activated, cuts the injectors, closes
the exhaust brake valve and opens the throttle all the way. It
would be very expensive (with all of the necessary fail safes)
as an after market add on.

If I had your rig, I would check for an after market auxiliary
transmission controller that would allow you some manual
control over things like the converter clutch and overdrive
free wheeling (which may actually be the same thing)

Let us know what you find out Skip.
Bryan

Footnote.
A friend bought a new Datsun diesel PU. At 200,000 miles he
bought a low mileage replacement truck and put the diesel in it
because everything but the engine was worn out on the original.
200,000 miles later he bought a new gas powered Dodge PU.
The Datsun diesel was still running perfect, the replacement truck
had worn out. He decided that paying the premium for an engine
that would go 400,000 miles, or more,  in a truck designed for
100-200 thousand miles didn't make sense. He also claimed
that routine maintenance cost about twice as much for the diesel.