Re: Aerodynamics

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Aerodynamics
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 15:37:25 -0800
Danger, danger, danger...unsolicited opinions coming...warning, etc YMMV,
hit delete now.....

Well, all the hoopla over teardrop shape has me sorta laughing to myself.
First when the idea formed up in thinking like a rain drop falling in free
air. I want ya'll to think about that...free air. Cars are nowhere near free
air. They are close to the ground. Ground effects the shape. A teardrop has
to be cambered (flattened) on the bottom surface to keep the drag
coefficient from growing large. Yep, Cd goes up when the teardrop shape is
close to the ground. Now when you make half a teardrop with a flat bottom
whatcha got? A wing for goodness sakes. What do wings do? They fly. Belly
tanks didn't fly because they have equal lift all around. The old belly tank
was pretty good when it was attached to the airplane because there was
nothing stationary around it like in a vehicle..the ground does not move and
the shape has to shear that air next to the ground. So what shape is the
best? Who knows without CFD or some such..or you can look at Jack's NT788...

mayf