Re: Dry sump & Electric Motors

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dry sump & Electric Motors
From: "Bill \"Pokey\" Bennett" <bennevl@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 23:19:58 -0500
Ok I may be setting myself up here, but I will stick my neck out.
Somewhere years ago I saw a conversion factor for converting from an AC
electric motor to a gas engine drive on hydraulic pumps. I can not remember
what the number was, but do remember it was NOT one for one. I know I know
how can HP not equal HP. Think it maybe because of torque and rpm because
typically a hyraulic pump would be running at 1750 rpm with an AC electric
motor, and with a gas engine would be running closer to 3600 rpm.. Now here
comes another thought. Dry sumps run at half speed so lets say around 4500
rpm. Now most DC motors run around 2400 rpm. Now a pulley swap to get pump
speed and I have given up half my torque capability.

Bill
"putting on bullet proof vest"