Re: Dry sump & Electric Motors

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dry sump & Electric Motors
From: Henry Deaton <hdeaton@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 20:02:20 -0800
The difference is how electric motors are rated vs how gas engines are
rated. Gas engines are usually rated at their peak power. Electric motors
are usually rated at a continuous-duty power rating, or a one-hour rating,
or some other period of time depending on the application. A starter motor
would probably be rated for a much shorter period of time, for instance.
Also, most electric motors can deliver much more than their rated output
for a short period of time. It pretty much has to do with thermal loading
and how much heat the motor can dissipate. For instance, the forklift motor
I used in my electric drag bike was rated at 4.5 HP for an hour. I actually
got around 35 HP out of it for about 14.25 seconds or so.

So, it's not that a HP doesn't equal a HP, but for the same application
you'll need a different HP rating for a gas engine than you would for an
electric motor.

Also, a lot of wound DC motors, that is motors with a bunch of copper
windings on the armature, can handle rpms of up around 5,000 to 7,500
without any trouble, even if the power rating is at a lower speed. At
speeds above that the windings start lifting up which pull the commutator
bars up into the brushes which brings everything to a messy stop in a hurry.

Henry Deaton
SF, CA