Re: Aternator Drive ?

To: bennevl@bellsouth.net, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Aternator Drive ?
From: RACE427@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 13:00:42 EST
I would think you would lose the same amount of HP and torque no matter where
you mount the alternator as it does require the same amount of energy to spin
it up against the magnetic lines of force.  I do not believe you can get
something for nothing out of this idea.

Through the driveshaft you will be turning it much slower than if it were
mounted on the engine. At idle in neutral or Park you will be running off of
battery power and pulling down down the voltage, when you do shift into drive
the alternator will have to work that much harder to charge the battery back
up. If you just want it to turn at slower RPMs then just play with the crank
and alternator pulley sizes to spin it where you want to.  How about a
cut-out switch for the field winding, when you floor the pedal the alternator
does not charge and you simply run off of battery power.  This will work if
you are running a Magneto.
  Just my humble thoughts on this one, hope it helps!    Tony G    LI,NY