Drag

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Drag
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 04:57:53 -0500
All

Just a small point from Terry's post.  This is backed up by Ron Ayres (Aero
expert on Thrust SSC).  Tire induced drag is significant and Ron believes
this was a major factor in LSR cars (wheeldriven and non wheeldriven)
underperforming against their design speed.

I agree that there is not much the racer can do with the tires he/she has
but the initial selection process will be an opportunity to factor in some
better numbers.  But we have been here before and know that the makers lack
any info!

Ron has yet to publish his data but he does give excellent talks on the
subject if you can get to hear him.

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England.