Re: Hydrogen question

To: "Glenn Ridlen" <gridlen@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Hydrogen question
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 08:03:30 -0800
The free air explosion was of course generated by LOTS of hydrogen. Bu the
point was that it was not confined in any space and it didn't float UP like
everyone seems to think it might. As a point of reference the lower
flammability limit is inly 4%. So if it gets a leak in your cockpit or
enclosed car which say has only 10 cubic feet of space then only 0.4 cubic
feet of hydroger mixed with that air will explode.
That being said, I think the stuff can and is handled very safely every day
and that it shold pose no problems in being used as a motor fue in a car.
However, transferring the stuff from one tanl to another might be bothersome
because the transfer has to take place at a high pressure and a leak there
might be hard to deal with. When it burns you cannot see it. Look at the
shuttle main engines when they are lit. You can see right into the rocket
motor. The other point was that it is fairly inefficient as a motor fuel. It
takes a lot of hydrogen to equal the amount of galoline or methanol being
used. And it costs as much to make in terms of efficiency as it gives up
during combustion so it really just becomes a storage medium for energy.

I have no qualms about using H2.

mayf