Re: LSR vrs costs

To: Dan <dwarner@electrorent.com>
Subject: Re: LSR vrs costs
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 10:50:02 -0800

I think that we are getting carried away with this money idea. I have
spent most of my racing career with low buck stuff. I can honestly say
that spending the extra bucks can increase longevity, but the engine on
the cheap will produce the HP. No one will argue that it isn't important
to have quality heads, but even there they can be had for $1000 used.

I am talking about the 23 degree head motor. All the records we now hold
are with this motor with the exception of the D/GCC record at the Lakes
set in November. This engine is a stock crank, .020 over 350 block and a
set of well used aluminum Brodix -10 heads. We are using Oliver rods, JE
pistons and a Crower cam. The block, crank, injection and dry sump
system dates back to the seventies. I would judge that this engine can
be built for seven grand.

We now have spent some serious money on a new 18 degree head motor. Much
of this was spent in acquiring a forged crank and Dart block which I
don't believe will make a great deal of difference in HP, but is a good
investment in longevity. Since this project has spanned about three
years, I don't have the actual figures for this motor, but I think in
the area of $10-12,000 in parts. (the dry sump system from the previous
motor is being used.)

I doubt that there are many classes more highly competitive than D Comp
Coupe. It is true that when the records get high, it takes more money to
be competitive. That doesn't mean, however that everyone has to have
deep pockets to enjoy this sport.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/CC