Canopies for Mod Sports

To: "land speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Canopies for Mod Sports
From: "Dan" <dwarner@electrorent.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 11:38:10 -0800
I thought the rules said you have to get out without raising a hatch. A
closed canopy would then prevent egress. Clarification please. Jack
*****************************
List & Jack,

Jack's referrence to exiting the car without opening a hatch comes from the
definition of an "open car", page 38, sect. 4.V of the 2002 rulebook.

This generally applys to roadsters in the Vintage classes. My example is of a
sports car roadster such as a Berkely which would compete in the Modified
Sports classes. Within the specific rules for the class there is no mention of
"open car". Hence, my discussion or 'can of worms' (now referred to as COW),
of the canopy on top of a sports car roadster. The class rules do state that
"the driver must not be resctricted from entry or exit of the vehicle by the
cockpit covering", page 61. This does not prevent a canopy from being built
such as would be found in a streamliner. The body must remain stock from the
firewall back, but the canopy cannot be determined to be a part of the
original body if the body was an OEM roadster.

And so, on it goes ----

Dan