Re: Allison V-1710 For Speed Trials?

To: landspeedracer <landspeedracer@msn.com>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Allison V-1710 For Speed Trials?
From: Chris Harris <yesford@clear.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 11:40:22 +1300
> Bill
>
> I was under the impression that the Rolls Royce engine was far superior to
> the Allison even though they were of similar design. The Allison just
didn't
> have the same power as the Rolls. And Allison's were far more available in
> scrap yards after the war. Don't know if it was a Packard vs. GM thing but
> there wasn't much comparison between an Allison powered P-40 or even the
> twin engine P-38 and the Rolls powered Spitfire and the P-51 Mustang.
Don't
> really know all the problems but WWII pilots would always prefer to fly
the
> Rolls Royce powered planes. Then there were the Mosquito and Lancaster
> bombers.
>
> John

Got to agree with you John. The P51 was ok to 15,000 ft with the Allison.
The double supercharged Merlin totally transformed it.
The Merlin powered Lancaster carried twice the bomb load of the B17 Flying
Fortress.
The later generation Rolls Royce Griffin with additional cubes to 36 litres
was a very serious piece in answer to the Focke Wulf 190.
As I said when we were talking favorite books, Spitfire, A test pilots
story, By Jeffery Quill is excellent.