RE: Sir Frank Whittle: Turbojet Inventor

To: "'Albaugh, Neil'" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>,
Subject: RE: Sir Frank Whittle: Turbojet Inventor
From: "Clay, Dale" <Dale.Clay@mdhelicopters.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 12:02:30 -0700
Neil,

I saw a cut-away of the engine of the WWII ME 262 (also the plane) at the
Smithsonian, it was axial flow (single spool IIR).  Was that prior to GE?

Dale C.

PS:  There is a company that is making a limited run of ME 262 hi-fi
replicas with modern engines in housings to look like the old engines.  I'll
have to see if I can find their website.

                Bill;

                Not to take anything away from Whittle, but his centrufugal
design was very
                limited and it wasn't until General Electric improved his
original design
                with their axial-flow approach that it became a practical
powerplant.

                Regards, Neil     Tucson, AZ

entities other than the intended recipient or employees of
MD Helicopters, Inc. is prohibited.   If you received this in error, please
contact the sender by email and delete the material from any computer..