Sir Frank Whittle: Turbojet Inventor

To: "LSR-List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sir Frank Whittle: Turbojet Inventor
From: "Elon" <netstuff@attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 00:31:54 -0800
"Clay, Dale" wrote. . .

Neil,

I saw a cut-away of the engine of the WWII ME 262 (also the plane) at the
Smithsonian, it was axial flow (single spool IIR).  Was that prior to GE?

Dale C.

The axial flow design for the Jumo series of engines started about 1937-38.
The engine was test flown in 1941 and the Jumo 004 engine flew in the ME 262
in May of 1942. General Electric was experimenting and developing turbo
supercharges for piston engines at that time.  In fact, GE's work on
turbochargers is the reason the government gave them Whittle's designs to
develop in the US in 1941. Westinghouse designed an axial flow, X19A in 1942
which first ran in 1943. It wasn't installed in aircraft until about '46-47.
-Elon

"Clay, Dale" wrote. . .

PS:  There is a company that is making a limited run of ME 262 hi-fi
replicas with modern engines in housings to look like the old engines.  I'll
have to see if I can find their website.

The first of the 5 new ME-262s flew a couple of months ago on December 20th
at Everette Washington.  The new Messerschmitt 262s are powered by GE J-85
jet engines. They produce about 3,000 lbs of thrust each but I think they
have been de-rated about 500 lbs.  The original Jumo 004 jets produced about
2,000 lbs of thrust. The first two aircraft are sold but the remaining
(partially-built) aircraft are available for about $2M each (LESS engines).
-Elon