Re: Maxton Next weekend?

To: Ron Gibson <rgg14@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Maxton Next weekend?
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 04:35:46 -0500
It begs the question how much work has been done with suspension? Adding a
properly built 4 link and watts linkage to Turk's brick was the difference
between undrivable over 200 and completely hooked up. The data log did not show
any slippage even on a gear change. It might be all about mechanical advantage
in the suspension and following the bumps in the course so the tire never leaves
the track and begins to spin. Once they break loose I think all is lost until
you take a lot of power out to try to hook it back up. With a solid rear all you
have for suspension is the tire sidewall that is undamped. It is as much like a
red playground kick ball as anything else. If you add weight you dampen it. Also
with a solid rear you have zero weight transfer. A 4 link uses the torque at the
wheels to promote weight transfer. Joe T might have more to comment on this if
he hs the time to write it up.

Dave