RE: Streamliner

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Streamliner
From: "Russel Mack" <rtmack@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 23:07:49 -0500
Thomas:
New FWD streamliner sounds different, interesting.  Nice to know that Rick
White will drive it.  I'll look forward to seeing Chet Herbert's new engine,
too (I assume they'll bring it to Bonneville).

I'm remembering your quandry re: hood scoop.  I was one of many on this list
who recently bought a copy of the auto stylists aerodynamics book (sorry, I
forget who gave us the info on the book-- thanks, whomever!  It's pretty
helpful.).  Anyway-- for positioning hood scoops on race cars, it says/
implys that the professional teams put a pitot tube in the general area
where they want the scoop, and move it closer and farther from the body
surface until the find the place with the highest air velocity; that's where
they center the scoop.
Russ, #1226B